Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eye Opening and Heart Puncturing....

I have been anxious to start reading "Red Letters- Living a Faith That Bleeds" for some time but haven't had the time. I just love the title. That in and of itself speaks so loudly to my heart! Anyways, I picked it up a couple nights ago and only read a couple of pages before I had to put it down. I was needed elsewhere but also I needed time to digest what I had just read. It's opened my eyes a little bit more but it's also pierced my heart too, in a good, growth way and I'm not even on chapter 2 yet!!

Just some of the things that grabbed me....

*There are almost 50 million people infected with HIV virus*

*"But there is something else going on when we reach out to help the helpless - something unexpected. Something we often miss. Something that speaks not only to the process of becoming Christlike- to our spiritual foundation - but also to the very truth of where we find Jesus".

* "I'm talking about finding Jesus in the eyes of real people. In the eyes of the poor, the handicapped, the oppressed, the orphan, the homeless, the AIDS victim-the abandoned and the forgotten".

*"The dying, the crippled, the mentally ill, the unwanted, the unloved-they are Jesus in disguise". Mother Teresa

*Look for Jesus every morning in the eyes of the people you meet. And then look for him in the mirror.

Man, just typing this grips me all over again. How I desperately want to live a life of faith so real I bleed Jesus to everyone. Not just the lovely and loveable. Not just the well dressed and well off. But more so, those that others turn their eyes from. Those whose looks speak poverty or sickness. I don't want to feel awkward or afraid of those who can't communicate because of disease but instead reach out to them and love them with the love of Christ. Honestly, my special needs children have opened my life to a whole new world. A world I would turn from before because of my uncomfortableness. Now, I feel a kinship with these parents as they, like us, love these precious ones and do our best to raise them up loving Jesus as much as they can.

I especially love the last point above. This is the one I'm focusing on right now. I'll admit, I lose my temper with my littles when they "don't get it". It's a constant reminder to me of their disabilities. And oh how easy it would make our lives if God would just miraculously heal them over night and they could be "whole". He might do that someday, but until then, I want to see Jesus in my children's eyes. I want to bleed Jesus each and every minute of the day to them. I want them to know their Abba God loves them immensely just like they are and I want them to see that because of the way I love them. Unconditionally. Flaws, disease, disabilities, and all. After all, I'm no better. I have a disease called sin and boy is it ever ugly!

"When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out your true selves, your God-created selves". Matthew 5:45

This verse speaks to me because my sweet Kyalynn gives us a "hard time" alot due to her limits of understanding and I need to respond with the energies of prayer not anger and frustration. Hmmm, like I said so much to think on and grow in so that I can become the wife, mother and woman of God He created me to be. Help me Lord.




7 comments:

Brandi said...

Amen! I was convicted of the same thing reading someone else's blog about that very chapter! crazy.. yes, Do I apply this my mothering? Am I Jesus when they are tired, whiney, emotional or disobedient?

Thanks for the challenge and vulnerability!
Bran

Tereasa said...

I haven't read that book,but God has been teaching me this summer the same things which you spoke about. It has really made a difference in the way I see my role as mom, wife and "sister" in church. I have especially been moved to love certain people within the body of Christ. Thanks for sharing. I'll pray for you while on this journey!

crispy said...

What a great post. Thanks for challenging me.

Jill said...

Lisa - awesome post and so sorry you had to endure the snake "attack" glad everyone is ok!

Praying for you and glad to be walking this calling of motherhood with you! Standing at the feet of Jesus knowing we need Him just as much as our children need us to train them up in the way they should go!

Hugs and love,
Jill

Laura said...

oooo, today was a really, really hard day. thanks for reminding me what my heart's desire truly is...to show the love of Christ to my children.

steffany said...

I love the look for jesus in the eyes of the people you meet.
i think you do a fabulous job at looking for jesus in your own children's eyes as well.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀
酒店經紀