Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Friday, September 5, 2008

Roots and Fruit....

Because they had no root they withered away. Matthew 13:6
"If a tree puts on a lot of top growth and few roots, it is liable to be weak-wooded and short lived.." William Bryant Logan
We live minutes from a beautiful National Park. It is filled with creeks, hiking trails and trees....lots of trees. It is always amazing to me to see these huge trees felled by wind or insects. Something that seems so solid killed by something so small. These roots, covered with ground, exposed now for us to examine, are not what you would expect for such a large tree. They are shallow....only 1-2 feet long. Definately not long enough to anchor a tree against storms.
Roots are important not only for trees but for us as well. They are what ground us, anchor us, and sustain us during the storms of life. If our roots are deep in the soil of God's word we will be strong and solid. Although the storms rage around us, pummelling us with it's power, we are able to bend and sway, standing tall amidst it. Roots give strength.
I'm sure you have met people who appear shallow. In the midst of adversity they have nothing to hold them up. Then there are those people who leave you better than before they came. They cause you to think, dig, and push deeper into God's soil. Roots.
Fruit. Sometimes we want to rush growth. We want to see that good fruit. Did you ever get fruit from Walmart? Compare that to tree picked fruit. Ummm, no comparison! Last month we purchased peaches from the store and then found a farmer who sells peaches really cheap. I don't think I'll ever buy peaches from the store again! LOL! Although the store bought fruit looked much the same as the fresh ones, in one bite you could detect the difference. They were so much juicier, the color was better, and they were ripened the way God intended..on the tree. Not picked early and shipped to the store. The fruit looks good but it isn't really good. That's what happens when you rush growth.
I'm guilty of trying to rush growth. Growth in myself and in my children. The fruit may be there in some instances but it isn't fruit grown the way God intended....slow, steady and connected to the branch until He is ready to pick us and send us on to the next step. I'm going to step back, take a deep breath and enjoy watching the fruit of our lives grow into all God has intended...slow...steady....sure.
I am the vine; you are the branches, If a man remains in me and I in him he will bear much fruit... John 15:5
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. John 15:16
And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. Colossians 1:10-12
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Galatians 5:22

5 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

This was a truly beautiful post! I thank God for the roots He gives to my life. I pray my life will bear good fruit for Him.

Donna said...

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure if you got the comment that I put on your other post, but I'm posting it here in case you didn't

Could you email me your email address? I was going to send you an email, but I don't have your email address...

Here's mine:
mauney28105@carolina.rr.com

Thanks!
Donna (www.mauneyfamily.blogspot.com)

Brandi said...

We've seen the shallow root picture a lot here with our hurricanes and our water oaks. It always teaches me the same thing you wrote about!

I loved the idea of waiting for tree-picked fruit. I often want to rush my fruit. . just get it here and move on, not waiting for the finishing touches of the lesson and the living out maybe before He moves on. What a great analogy. That's kind of where God has me right now. . forming a fruit in me and I'm wanting to see the final picture and rush through it. Thanks!
Bran

crispy said...

Beautiful...I have often thought about roots and fruit. I remember doing a few lessons on in back when we were in youth ministry.

The idea of the fruit from the farmer is great. I am praying that there is evidence of fruit in my life that all can see.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀
酒店經紀