Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Friday, February 27, 2009

Our School Days...

I'm pretty pleased with what the little's have accomplished so far this year. We have a routine and if I try to change things up just a bit I meet resistance. LOL! We start the morning by each of us picking a picture out of our "prayer basket" and then praying for this person. Then we read from their Bible, and a missionary storybook. Then we review the ABC's, the sounds of the letters, months of the year, days of the week, all their bible verses, the shapes, the colors, the 5 senses, the planets, the food pyramid, basic addition, words that they've learned, the Pledge of Allegiance, their phone number, naming the states we've learned so far (they are up to 15!) and the 7 continents and 4 oceans of the world! Then we do a weather chart and are working on writing numbers to 100. Most of this stuff "sticks" because I try to put it all to music. They don't know it all perfectly but the more we sing it the more they remember it. This "system" would never have worked for Zack and Ryan but it's what is working right now for the little's and so I'm not changing it until I have to! LOL!
Everyone has heard the songs so much that yesterday when I took Gabriella for bloodwork Sean was able to do school with Kyalynn and Connor. :)
We usually end their school day with me reading a pile of books to them. Some days start hard (read: behavioral issues with certain children!) and I don't ever get to "school" but even then we are reading, coloring and still learning, so it's all good. I know they are making this progress because they are homeschooled and they can learn at their own pace and in their own way. I don't know what the future will look like as far as school for each of them, but one day is enough for me to "chew" on right now. LOL!