Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Sunday, September 6, 2009

Left To Tell...

My mother-in-law allowed me to borrow this book on CD and I highly recommend it! It is NOT an easy story to listen to but it will bolster your faith and show the power of God to protect in the face of extreme odds.

It is the story of Immaculee Ilibagiza, a native of Rwanda during the bloody genocide. She spent 91 days in a bathroom 4' x 3' with 7 other women. Her amazing faith during adversity really spoke to my heart.

I did find myself yelling at the CD several times when I heard that although the Rwandan government asked for help from America we did not come to their aid. I tasted bitter gall in my mouth for what we, as Americans, take for granted each and every waking moment of our lives and how many, many others never will experience even a drop of clean water!

It is a gruesome tale at some points because that is what genocide is. It reminded me of the bible verse that says "nothing is new under the sun". We've seen this same type of violence in so many ways over the years...Nazis and the Jews, Genocide, Islamic Terroism, Whites and the Native Americans, etc. It is shameful that human life is so unvalued and that power, money or land can harden our hearts and allow us to turn on our own kind.

Immaculee is a remarkable woman but more importantly, she loves a remarkable God and that's the story you need to hear!

6 comments:

Acceptance with Joy said...

My mom went... She saw unbelievable stuff but was there to help and it gave her courage. She saw thousands upon thousands of people streaming out of the country into Zaire and she cared for thousands. She ended up being in charge of an agency in the refugee camp in Goma. She had several doctors and dentists and nurses under her. She dispensed medicine, food and clothes and tarps for tents. We'll never forget. She will never ever forget.

Tereasa said...

Sounds good. Is the title Left to Tell?

Sean and Lisa said...

Yes, the name of the book is "Left To Tell"
Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza

Tim and Susan said...

Sounds so sad and hard to read. We just finished a book about Corrie Ten Boom that we were reading out loud as a family. So sad and hard. Satan is certainly working hard on this earth...that is all I can say!

Debbie B said...

Not sure I could handle reading that one but I'm going to look into it. It's generally the hardest to read and hear that make the most difference.
If I could I would make sure our kids all get to spend a summer doing missions in a third world country during their teens. I moved to Guatemala when I was 16 and learned so much. But the lessons learned are so hard to hold onto when you are in the land of now and plenty.

crispy said...

It is easier to hide our head in the sand than know the ugly truth of what goes on in our world. I am sure it was a hard book to read.