Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our Wild Kingdom...




My sweet sister-in-law has taken to calling our home the "Wild Kingdom".  I kind of like it. LOL! Let me explain....

We decided to allow our chickens to be free range and so at any given moment there are 4 chickens walking our grounds around here. Actually, it's crazy, these birds act like dogs! Seriously. They follow us when we go on walks, hang around us when we are outside playing, and have even tried to come inside! LOL! 

Then we have 2 rabbits...one all white and one all black. Marshmallow and Chocolate. :) Well, they are free range too. Crazy I know but it works wonderfully for us. They usually hang around in the morning and in the evening chumping the grass as we play outside. They've decided that bunny food isn't as tasty as the chicken feed and so it's not uncommon to see the chickens and the bunnies eating out of the same container at the same time. 

Then of course, we have our dog, Mordecai, whose main goal in life is to chase everything. He chases the bunnies and they kindly scamper from him but are not afraid of him at all. Mordecai will get to running and go right into the chickens and they will squawk a bit and fly upwards and then land and come right at him. :) 

We have 3 outside cats that are not bothered in the least that there are chickens and bunnies in their turf and don't even bother with them. Amazing! Actually, that's not entirely true. Our one cat, Sierra, will follow me to feed the chickens and then lay down right beside their dish and just watch them like it's a tv show or something. 

And then the newest addition to our wild kingdom is this beautiful duo...




I know it's very dark but look closely and you'll see a momma doe and her sweet little fawn. The momma has been hanging around for quite some time eating all the Hostas and the tiny bit of flowers I had. She started timidly stopping by at dusk and then got braver and braver until she was coming by all hours of the day. Zachary actually got pretty close to her once. She loves the chicken feed too and is happy to consume the whole container. Then she started bringing her baby around. At first, only at dusk or very early in the morning.   Now they drop by late afternoon. Baby is a frisky thing. She's always scampering around and trying to get momma to play but momma is too busy eating the chicken feed. They've also started drinking from the chicken water feeder (white container in back of picture). Goodness gracious! This feeding the animal kingdom is getting to be expensive! LOL! The momma doe likes the chickens (of course because they are gracious enough to share their food!) and usually touches noses with the bunnies. It's a literal love fest between these animals. LOL!

Honestly, I LOVE it! It makes me think of Heaven. And peace. I don't know, I think these animals know something. I think they know they are safe here and welcome and that they feel the presence of God. I pray everyone feels that way when they visit us, whether they are animals or people.:)

Well, all except rattlesnakes....they aren't welcome and will be shot! I'm just sayin'............

3 comments:

Melissa said...

That is AWESOME! I can barely handle a fish. Ever since we had to put our dog to sleep a year ago I am just not ready. I love deer! They are so graceful!

Peaceful wishes,
Melissa Jo

NeeCee said...

Oh good, then you won't be shocked if you look out your window and see a fat woman strolling around your yard followed by her four kidlets.

I promise I will leave your chicken feed alone though. ;0)

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

I love it too :) I am with you on the rattlesnakes, actually any poisonous snakes....