Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Thursday, September 2, 2010

Well, can't say we've had this before...

So....let me preface this by saying that my Koreans all put things in their mouths, from sticks to old food found in the car. Ewww! I know, I know. Anyhow, we have told them umpteen times not to put anything in their mouths except food (not old, dried up stuff!) and drink. But yet they still do it.....sigh....

Well tonight Kyalynn (my nature loving girl) had found a caterpillar and was playing happily with it. She carried it around singing to it and showing it to everyone. After a bit I noticed she had her hand near her mouth and so I reminded her not to put the caterpillar near her mouth. I mean I really didn't think she would put it in her mouth. Oh my! Not too long later Sean calls me upstairs to look at Kyalynn. Her lip was swollen, she had welts all over her lips, chin, cheeks, neck, and both arms! She kept saying "oh, are you ok? Say a prayer".  We had thought that the caterpillar just stung her on her face but then she kept saying she had a boo-boo in her mouth. Here's the kicker.....she put the thing inside her mouth and it stung her and she still had the black hairs in her mouth! Goodness gracious these kids are making me gray!LOL!

So of course, supermom (HA!) that I am I had no Benadr*l on hand that hadn't already expired, so off we went to the local pharmacy to pick some up. *Sidenote here* Did you know they make dye free Benadr*l? Cool! Within minutes she started telling us she felt better and within an hour most of her welts were gone and her lip was not as swollen. Whew!

I just looked this caterpillar up and you'll not believe this but our girl tangled with one of the few poisonous caterpillars in this area! Go figure!! :)

This little beauty is called the Hickory Tussock Moth and those hairy spines are poisonous to the touch. Who'd have thunk?

So there ya have it....another night at our home. LOL!

3 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Oh dear....Thank God for medicine!! :)

Melissa said...

I had NO idea that any catepillars where poisonous! I really need to get it together and research this stuff.

Peaceful wishes,
Melissa

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

Oh my! I didn't know that caterpillars could sting, and I certainly didn't know that they could be poisonous. Yikes!

:) :) :)