Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Monday, November 1, 2010

Moments I treasure....

Tonight, after all the little's were put to bed, I was feeding Samuel and Ryan came in to sit and chat for a bit with me. We began with light-hearted conversation and before long he was sharing his heart. I just love those moments!! He mentioned that he had been thinking alot about Kyalynn. I thought he meant because she has been so sick with a cold for awhile now but I soon found out my boy had much more on his heart. He was telling me about a lady at his work that is going to school so she can work with autistic children and that he told her about Kyalynn and that she was autistic and hearing impaired. The first words out of her mouth were "Oh, I'm so sorry."  (This is when my momma tears start)....
He said to me, "mom, I couldn't believe she felt sorry for me. I mean, she doesn't even know Kyalynn. Then I started thinking about her and what a gift and a blessing she is just like she is. I know that some people say autism is a curse but I don't see it that way. I don't think she's cursed, she's just different and that's not to say it's a bad thing either. I can't imagine her any other way and I've been thinking that she is NOT autism, she is Kyalynn. God didn't mess up, she's not defective, she's perfect and God has a plan for her life even with autism. In fact, I think that because of her autism she will be able to reach people for Christ I never could. Her life is a testimony of her love for Him already, can you imagine when she gets older?!"

Friends, this is how God transforms hearts through adoption, through special needs children, through love! My almost 17 year old "gets it" when there are so many "mature Christians" that haven't a clue, ya know?! 

So many people say how lucky the children are we adopted. I understand the limited view they are coming from because I was there once but in all honesty, we are the fortunate ones. As I've said time and time again, adoption has not only changed our family dynamics and size it has changed our lives...for the better. I truly believe we are better people, each of us, because of our hearts being stretched by "just one more" child to love.  

It saddens me when we are out and about and we get negative reactions to me and my passel of wee little ones. I mean seriously folks, today while on a quick shopping trip to W*lmart, we had 3 people (most of them elderly) make comments about "having my hands full". After the 3rd time, Connor says "mommy, why does everyone always says that to you?" LOL! What I don't get is that generation had large families! Don't they remember the joy of laughter and chaos that large families bring? Kitchens filled with noise as everyone talks and shares over dinner? The squeals of little girls being swung high into the air by their big brothers? Brothers sword fighting to protect the damsels in distress (their sisters)? 

As we put our groceries on the checkout belt the cashier says to me "so, you're into adoption, huh?" LOL! "Oh yes, very much so!" Then I get THE QUESTION....(if I got paid for every time I was asked this question I'd be a millionaire for sure!) "So like how many are you going to adopt?"  My usual response..."As many as God wants to give us. After all, children are a blessing, a gift from God, and I want all the blessings and gifts He wants to give me!" That usually causes the persons eyes to bug out and then they assume I am totally insane. HA! :)

I just have to laugh because I've seen mommas with 1 or 2 kids in the stores that I think the "you've got your hands full" comment would be more appropriate for. As my husband reminds me often, it's all a matter of perspective. 

If you think my hands are full you should see my heart! :)

November is National Adoption Month.....does your life and heart need transformed? There are children here and abroad, desperate for the love of a family. Check out my adoption resource tab at the top for links that can start you in the right direction. Come on...be blessed!!! 



5 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful story.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

OH dear....have to laugh out loud!!!!! he he he- so many people have no idea the JOY they are missing!!!! I agree what an intelligent young man you have!!! AMEN she is Kyalynn- NOT blah blah blah!

Which one of us wants to be known as overweight, bad hair, ADD, four eyes, etc. REALLY??? No one! We are WHO GOD CREATED!!!! HIS :)

Beth E. said...

Ryan sounds like a fine young man with a true heart for the Lord! What a wonderful post...tears in my eyes!

Love you...

Charity said...

Lisa, do you know anything about Catalyst? It's a leadership organization...best known for its yearly conference in Atlanta in October. They're hugely into adoption lately, working with Rick and Kay Warren and stuff.

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

LOVE this post ... in so many ways.

LOVE your son's heart. Oh my!

Yes ... even through the TOUGH stuff, God has blessed and grown our family because of our adoptions.

Yes ... I always say, "Children are a blessing from the Lord, and they are the only blessing that people say, 'Oh, Lord, please don't give me any more blessings.'" So sad!!!

Hope your day is BLESSED!!!


Laurel :)