Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Perfect Example...

Of what committed love looks like.




It isn't always pretty, nor easy. In fact, most of us married folks will admit that having a good, solid marriage requires effort, communication and hard work!! Here we are quickly heading towards Valentine's Day and the worlds' version of "love" is everywhere. Pink hearts, flowers, chocolate candy, jewelry, etc. But this is not love in the truest sense of the word. Of course, presenting your soul mate with a gift is usually expected and in some circles, the better the gift the more love between you. HA! It is so twisted from what God intended it to look like, be like, live like.

Growing up most little girls learn (through movies) that their prince will come and they will live happily ever after. Happily ever after sounds like such a nice concept, but really is it true? Everyone of us will face trial, tribulation and hardship in our marriages. None of us want to but we all will. We can choose to be happy and joyful amidst the struggles, to allow them to strengthen us and grow our marriage but it takes work. Before Sean and I married I had my version of "happily ever after" and honestly, it didn't quite look like this. :) However, I like God's version much better!!

It's hard in this day and age to find a couple married for many years and still in love with one another. Not just tolerating each other but truly in love. Today as I read Katie and Ben's story I saw love in its' purest form. In our marriage vows we say in sickness and in health, till death do us part, but how many of us really understand what that means and would really follow through?  I didn't. Not then. I'd like to think I do now after 20+ years of marriage but reading the above story really had me thinking about it. Katie is committed to Ben until death do them part and to me, that's what committed love looks like. That's how Jesus lived. Committed to us even unto His death. Blows me away!

So this Valentine's Day as you gather gifts to show your love I pray that you would take a couple of minutes to read 1st Corinthians 13 again. My favorite version is The Message. This is what love looks like, acts like, lives like. Then may we strive to love like that in our marriages, in our families and in our world. May the world look at our marriages and say "Wow. What do they have that we don't?" And we can say with absolute conviction....committed love, thanks to Jesus!!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I needed this right now. We've been attacked lately in our marriage harder then we've ever been. But through it all we remember how much we love each other and how much stronger the attacks make us.

Tereasa said...

I just scanned the blog. YOu're right. That is inspiring.

By the way, I love my husband more now than I did fourteen years ago. Every year is better because of Jesus!

sleepinl8 said...

Yeah. I'm getting tired of all the cliche valentine's day stuff. And it's a bit coincidental that I'm reading this now, because my parents happen to be reconsidering there vows as of a couple days ago. I think everything will work out though. My dad is just in a huge depression funk.