Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Yummy Recipes!!

If you are anything like me, you don't like adventure in your recipes. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all up for adventure most of the time in any other area but I gag at the thought of eating something that looks...well...gaggable. (Is that a word?! LOL!) However, since my birthday is just a few days away and it's the big 40!! I've decided to tag this fortieth year "Taking Care of Lisa Year".  I've done extremely well balancing a GF/CF diet for the little's while still implementing "regular" food for the bigs. Yi-Yi-Yi. :) Now, we are on a whole new adventure of limiting Gabriella's sodium intake due to her kidney issues. That means a whole lot of researching, reading and finding new ways to get food into this child. She is soooooo picky! Seriously, if she doesn't like it, (which most things fall into that category for her!) she will just gag her way through the WHOLE meal. Fun, fun, fun! :) 

Anyhow, back to the "taking care of Lisa year", I'll admit, I've fallen very, very short in this area. It's incredibly hard to find time when there are a bunch of little ones always clamoring for my attention BUT no more excuses! This is my year and I'm already implementing little things into my life that will make a big difference overall. Go Lisa go!! :)

So onto the fabulously, yummy recipes!!!! 

Squash is in abundance this time of year and is usually very cheap. Last week I bought  a big bag of Kale, a Butternut Squash and a Spaghetti Squash. Here to follow are my recipes I made up....

Sauteed Spaghetti Squash
Slice squash, remove seeds. Place in a glass container with a little water. 
Microwave until soft. (About 12-15 minutes) 
Place olive oil, onions and chopped garlic into a frying pan. 
(Watch closely so garlic doesn't burn. Nothing yum about that!)
Add the strands from the squash and cook on low for a few minutes. 
Then add just one small piece of turkey kielbasa/or Cheddarwurst.
Heat through and enjoy!

Butternut and Apple Soup

Slice squash, remove seeds. Microwave in glass container with a little water.
Cook until soft.
Meanwhile, cook olive oil, garlic and onions in frying pan until onions are translucent.
Cut the squash into small chunks and add it and 2-3 cups of water to pan. 
Simmer until squash is mushy. 
Then add 1 apple (I used Golden Delicious)
Add Chicken Base or Bouillon to taste.
Then carefully put mixture into blender and puree. 
Return to pan and add milk and cornstarch to make thick and creamy.
Yummo! I had this for lunch today and I'd give it 5 stars! LOL! 
The best part is both of these recipes are very low calorie and low fat.
Try 'em, you'll like 'em. :)

Oh P.S.  the Kale was made into a kale, sausage and bean soup that was listed on the back of the bag. Not a fan :( Actually, no one was and it was eventually pitched out. Something I hate to do but in this case, it was necessary. 


Do any of you have a kale recipe that you can share? 

I did add some kale to my homemade chicken noodle soup last night and that was good. So good in fact, that a whole big pot....A WHOLE BIG POT....was completely gone last night! Kyalynn cried today when I told her she couldn't have any chicken noodle soup  because it was all.  

Oh and one more thing....around here all of my food is good. Everything I cook or bake is delectable and do you know why? Well, because I put love into it, silly! LOL!
We started this to help Gabriella stop saying my food is yuck but it hasn't worked yet. We'll keep on trying. :)



1 comments:

Acceptance with Joy said...

lol!!

I have a spaghetti squash in my oven right now!! We love it.

Kale... I have tons of kale in the garden and I don't like it much.

Tonight we had mashed potatoes, sliced tomatoes, sliced peppers, beets, and corn on the cob, cantaloupe with blueberries all from the garden except the corn wasn't from mine. The "cheese" sauce was homemade, vegan, gluten free and used my home canned pimientos :-)

I love serving my family home grown healthy food.