Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Sunday, December 2, 2012

Grinch Party...

Christmas Grinch

Most of you know that we do alot of fun, low cost, high memory-making things around here, especially during the Christmas season. We added a new one this year....A Grinch Party! :)  Now I know that the ole' Grinch is a meanie and all but the whole point of the story is that he realizes that there's more to Christmas than presents.  
"And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

And what happened then...?
Well...in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch's small heart 
Grew three sizes that day! "  

- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss


I found so many great ideas on P*nterest and went with it. Friday during school we focused on the Grinch and I was very pleased with how much the kids learned! (Going to throw in our nuts and bolts for school just in case anyone wants to use it) We began by reviewing what an adjective was and then I had them give me adjectives for Mr. Grinch. I had drawn a pic of him and then we wrote the adjectives right on the sheet beside his face. We also did adjectives for his heart which we placed on a heart shape cutout beside him. Then, I had them look up the word simile in the dictionary and we went over some examples. I had them choose an adjective from the Grinch pic and use it as a simile. I was happily surprised at how quickly they took off with this! My favorite was this one from Connor...."The Grinch is as jealous as Joseph's brothers were and his heart is as cold as the arctic." :) Proof positive to me that our reading through the Bible is gaining knowledge!!  Then we took Scr*bble letters and put them on the floor (this was who stew) and they used them to make as many words as they could. Kyalynn was the winner hands-down as she is an EXCELLENT speller. LOL! Then we did word scrambles using words from the book. Finally, we wrote about why they thought the Grinch hated Christmas. They had fun and learned alot too! 

This was to gear up for the Grinch party that I wrangled some of our other family members to come to. :) They are such good sports. We had desserts that were green (of course!) and Grinch punch and then my favorite part...playing the games. Gosh, I never laugh so hard as when I'm watching everyone humiliate themselves  play the games.  Well, until it's my turn. LOL! I found some great games on P*nterest and we had fun. Then we finished up the party with watching the old Grinch movie. I definitely think we'll be doing this again next year.  :)

Although it wasn't about the real meaning of Christmas per se, it was to a degree because Christmas isn't about the presents or the wrappings, etc, it's about the One Gift that was given that overshadows all other gifts..EVER!  My children know why we celebrate but this was just a fun idea that helped create more memories that someday they will look back on and say..."Mom was so fun!" (At least I HOPE so...LOL!) 

1 comments:

Mama Ds Dozen said...

What a fun idea. I might have to borrow it.

Laurel :)