Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Saturday, May 9, 2015

Running against R.A.D. update....

It's been awhile since I've updated about my running adventures. In fact, since my last post about running I've since joined a running community that I love! I glean wisdom, encouragement and much laughter from them. It's such a diverse group.....newbie runners, old, young and everything in between. Some run less than a mile while others run 200+miles at a pop! Mostly all of us are trail runners and the pictures they share are breathtaking!

I am still slogging away against this dreaded disorder that affects my child and ultimately, ALL of us in the home. It is hard. It is frustrating. It is crazy. Some days it is unbearable. Some days are good, some days are not so good. Running gives me an outlet. It's just me and my dog, him happily flitting here and there and me huffing and puffing along. :)

Two weeks ago I was in my first race in 2 1/2 years. It was a 10 mile run. I have NEVER run that far in my life! The furthest I had run up to this point was 6 miles and that was the race 2 1/2 years ago. I stopped running not long after that race and began trying to walk more. Then this December I decided I wanted and needed to give this a go again. So in the dead of winter, snow, ice and freezing cold temperatures, there I was running. I put in 44 miles in January!! So from January until 2 weeks ago my farthest daily distance had been 3 miles. Needless to say, I was quite concerned about this race. There was a cut-off time, meaning I had to be at a certain check point before a certain time or they would disqualify me. My goal was to finish. I didn't care what my times were I just wanted to cross that finish line knowing I did it!

I thought I was in a good place mentally until I got to the venue and saw all the runners with their high tech gear and ultra cool clothes. Then I began to feel nervous BUT when we all started running I settled in and just thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It was amazingly beautiful! The race weaved up and down 3 mountains and the views from the top were incredible! When I started to doubt myself, I'd just remind myself that here I was enjoying God's great creation and I didn't have to worry about my kids. I didn't have to stop one time to referee siblings or get someone something. LOL! I was able to enjoy time alone which is very rare. :)

The only really sad thing about the day was that Sean and I had figured out how long we thought it would take me and he and the kids planned to be at the finish line cheering me in at that time. However, I was faster than we thought! So, I crossed the line without my family there. :(

There were 344 runners in my race and I came in 254. I am thrilled with that! It was a monumental day for me. I did something I previously thought I'd never be able to do, especially with these extra 60 lbs on me. The coolest thing was my brother was racing there that day too. His race however was a 30 miler. Oye! :) He always does well and ends with a smile on his face but this one was a struggle. He had serious cramping and a huge blood blister on his big toe but he finished strong. So proud of him!

0 comments: